- S. Chand Group took its first firm step from Chandni Chowk in 1939.
- Jallandhar witnessed the first sales office in 1949.
- Organic Chemistry by “A.L Agarwal” & Elements of Economics by “N. L Bhatnagar” were the first textbooks of the group.
- The first international sales happened in 1962 in Cairo.
- Dr. Zakir Hussain on 24th May 1964 laid the foundation stone of Shyam Lal College.
- Shri Shyam Lal Gupta was awarded Padmshree in 1969.
- Shri Shyam Lal Gupta was elected to Rajya Sabha from Bihar in 1972.
- In 1973 Shri Shyam Lal Gupta was elected as the first president of Federation of Indian Publishers.
- In 1976 S. Chand forayed into the School books with “Today” series.
- In 1987 the group turned 50.
- In 1991, Mr. Rajendra Kumar Gupta (Son of Late Shri Shyam Lal Gupta) was nominated for National Book Development Council.
- 1993, S. Chand completed 25 yrs of presence at “Frankfurt Book Fair”.
- 1996 witnessed the prestigious tie-up between S. Chand & Encyclopedia Britannica Inc. Chicago to distribute Britannica products in Entire Indian Subcontinent.
- On 1 Feb 1998 Shyam Lal Gupta Memorial Library was inaugurated.
- In 2002 S. Chand was the first recipient of the “UGC Best Publisher Award”.
- Mr. Himanshu Gupta got into the family business in 2006.
- 2009 saw the entry of Mr. Dinesh Jhunjhnuwala (Son in law of Mr. Mr. Rajendra Kumar Gupta) in the business.
- 2008-09 witnessed the joint venture with EMPGI-US, one of the world’s largest pre-k-12 education solutions provider.
- S. Chand Edutech was launched as a Joint venture with a German Company in 2010.
- In 2011 S. Chand was empanelled by CBSE to conduct CCE trainings.
- Mr. Himanshu Gupta received “Young Publishers award” by Federation of Indian Publishers in 2012.