This textbook has been designed to meet the needs of BSc Second Semester students of Botany as per the UGC Choice Based Credit System (CBCS). It acquaints students with abiotic and biotic components of the ecosystem and their interactions at different levels. It also covers origin of angiosperms, their phylogeny and classification using various methods. While it provides strong conceptual understanding of the subject, it also helps in developing scientific outlook of the student.
• Enriched with more than 200 well-labelled diagrams for easy understanding of the concepts
• Engaging unit-end exercises, having more than 150 questions, for practice
• Collection of experiments at the end of the book to stimulate interest, aid in learning and memorize the practical aspect of the subject
Part I: Plant Ecology
• Introduction to Plant Ecology • Ecological Factors • Ecological Adaptations • Biotic Community and Succession • Ecosystem: Structure and Function • Biosphere • Energy Flow in Ecosystem • Food Chain, Food Web and Ecological Pyramids • Nutrient Cycling-Biogeochemical Cycles • Major Biomes of the World • Land Resources and Forests of India
Part II: Plant Taxonomy
• Introduction to Plant Taxonomy • Identification: Plant Collection and Preparation of Herbarium • Taxonomic Evidences • Taxonomic Hierarchy • Botanical Nomenclature • Classification • Biometrics, Numerical Taxonomy and Cladistics