This new edition of Fundamentals of Plant Physiology continues to provide
a comprehensive coverage on the basic principles of the subject with its focus
on the concepts of plant physiological form, functions and its behaviour. While
this new edition includes several contemporary topics to keep students abreast
with the new ongoing research in the field, it also includes 11 new experiments
to further strengthen the scientific outlook of the reader. Besides fulfilling
the needs of undergraduate students, this book would also be useful for
postgraduate students as well as aspirants of various competitive examinations.
• Discussion on important topics such as Reverse Osmosis, Beneficial Elements, Glycolipids, Steroids, Lipoproteins, Phycobilins and Chlororespiration.
• Exclusive discussion on Biosynthesis of Chlorophyll-a in Chapter 11 on Photosynthesis with diagrammatic representation of the numbering of C-atoms
in structure of Chlorophyll-a as per IUPAC/IUBMB nomenclature.
• Inclusion of Aphid Stylet Technique and its role in measuring phloem transport rates in Chapter 15 on Translocation of Organic Solutes.
• Comprehensive coverage on Redox Loop (Q-cycle) in complex III of mitochondrial electron transport chain in Chapter 16 on Respiration. Also covers modern view of Peter Mitchell's Chemiosmotic theory for oxidative phosphorylation in mitochondria and Racker & Stoeckenius Reconstitution Experiment.
• Expanded coverage on Florigen in light of recent research in Chapter 18 on photoperiodism. Also includes the ABC Model of Floral Development presenting the three classes under which homeotic genes for floral development are grouped.
• Discussion on Molecular Mechanism of Vernalization in Chapter 19 and Molecular Mechanism of Circadian Rhythm in Chapter 22.
1. The Plant Cell
2. Water, Solutions, Suspensions and Colloidal Systems
3. Diffusion, Osmosis and Imbibition
4. Absorption of Water
5. Transpiration and Guttation
6. Ascent of Sap
7. Absorption of Mineral Salts
8. Mineral Nutrition of Plants
9. Nitrogen and Sulfur Metabolism
12. Special Methods of Nutrition
13. Carbohydrate Metabolism
14. Lipid (Fat) Metabolism
15. Translocation of Organic Solutes
17. Growth and Growth Hormones
20. Germination and Dormancy of Seeds and Buds
21. Plant Movements
22. Circadian Rhythms in Plants
23. Stress Physiology
24. Secondary Metabolites
• References (Bibliography)
Be the first one to review
Your email address will not be published.
Your rating for this book :