Disaster Management, 2e is an intended textbook for students pursuing a first or an intermediate course on the subject in any undergraduate programme, especially engineering courses such as civil, structural, geotechnical engineering and other specialized courses on the subject. The latest AICTE and the earlier UGC model curriculums have been extensively consulted to design the contents of the book. The UPSC aspirants will find the book useful to prepare short notes on many topics and in answering questions on disasters and disaster management.
The main objective of the book is to create awareness about and understanding of disasters and disaster mitigation measures. It deals with the subject in a structured manner. Starting with an introductory chapter, the book goes to classification of disasters, separate chapters on natural and man-made (anthropogenic) disasters, basic management concepts, four-cycle disaster management, organizational structures in India and other countries, NGOs, ethical issues and case studies.
It follows the ';assurance of learning' model by enumerating the learning objectives in every chapter, followed by detailed exposition of each objective and ends with a rich suite of assessment questions.
1. New chapter covering pandemics (COVID-19) and environmental disasters.
2. Recent disasters updated throughout the chapters.
• Preface to the Second Edition
• Preface to the First Edition
• Syllabus-Book Content Mapping
2. Understanding Disasters
3. Natural Disasters
4. Anthropogenic (Man-Made) Disasters
5. Pandemics and Environmental Disasters
6. Objectives and Principles of Disaster Management
7. Disaster Management Cycle
8. Stakeholders and Technological Tools of Disaster Management
9. International Cooperation and Organisational Structures for Disaster Management
10. Disaster Management in India
11. Ethical Issues
12. Case Studies
• Further Reading
• Appendix 1: Suggested Practical Tasks
• Appendix 2: Vulnerability Maps of India
• Apendix 2: Vulnerability Maps of India
Primarily for Students of Civil, Structural, Geotechnical & Mechanical Engineering and all UG departments. Diploma in Disaster Management. Also useful for Disaster Management Professionals, Policy Makers
Be the first one to review
Your email address will not be published.
Your rating for this book :