The book deals with the mechanics of particles and rigid bodies. It is written for the undergraduate students of physics and meets the syllabus requirements of most Indian universities. It also covers the entire syllabus on classical/analytical mechanics for various national and state level examinations like NET, GATE and SLET. Some of the topics in the book are included in the curricula of applied mathematics in several institutions as well.
• Main emphasis is on the evolution of the subject, the underlying ideas, the concepts, the laws and the mathematical methods
• Written in the style of classroom teaching so that the students may benefit from it by way of self-study
• Step-by-step derivation of concepts, with each step clearly numbered
• Concepts explained with the help of relevant examples to aid understanding
• Introduction • Fundamental Concepts and Definitions • Variational Principle and Lagrangian Formulation of Mechanics • Hamiltonian Formulation of Mechanics • Canonical Transformation Theory • Hamilton-Jacobi Theory • Conservation Laws in Classical Mechanics • Two-Body Central Force Problem: Kepler's Laws Of Planetary Motion • Scattering In Central Force Field • Kinematics and Dynamics of The Motion of a Rigid Body • Moving Frames of Reference: Rotating Frame, Centrifugal Force and Coriolis Force • Small Oscillations