The second edition of Indian Economy: Performance and Policies has been thoroughly revised and updated. The Twelfth Five-Year Plan objectives, policies, approaches and data have been appropriately incorporated at suitable places.
The book is specifically designed to meet the course requirement of the paper on Indian Economy (Semester IV) for the students of BCom (Hons.) at the University of Delhi.
• Basic Issues in Economic Development: Concept and Measures of Development, Underdevelopment and Human Development • Basic Features of the Indian Economy at the Time of independence: Composition of National Income, Occupational Structure, the Agrarian Scene and the Industrial Structure • Policy Regimes: The Evolution of Planning in India • Policy Regimes: The Economic Reforms and Liberalization • Growth, Development and Structural Changes in the Indian Economy: Experience of Growth, Development and Structural Changes • Growth and Distribution—Unemployment • Poverty • Human Development and Environmental Concerns • Demographic Constraints—Population Change and Economic Development • Agriculture—Growth and Performance • Agricultural Price Policy, Public Distribution System and Food Security • Agriculture Credit, Marketing and Insurance • Industrialization—Rate and Pattern of Industrial Growth • The Small-scale Sector: Role and Performance, Problems, Rationale for Promotion, Government Initiatives and Measures, Development under Five-Year Plans • Public Sector in India—Role, Performance and Reforms • Foreign Capital • The Financial Sector: Structure, Performance; and Reforms. Foreign Trade and Balance of Payments; Structural Changes and Performance of India's Foreign Trade and Balance of Payments; Trade Policy Debate; Export Policies and Performance; Macroeconomic Stabilization and Structural Adjustment; India and the WTO
• Data updated as per Twelfth Five-Year Plan
• Adequate statistical information to help in the analysis of topics
• Authentic and reliable sources of information
• Questions from previous years' examinations to help students understand the pattern of questions