Electricity, Magnetism and Electromagnetic Theory has been designed to meet the needs of BSc (Physics) students as per the UGC Choice Based Credit System. This textbook provides a thorough understanding of the fundamental concepts of electricity, magnetism and electromagnetic theory. Having a problem-solving approach, it covers the entire spectrum of the subject with discussion on topics such as electrostatics, magnetostatics, electromagnetic induction, Maxwell's equations and electromagnetic wave propagation. The concepts are exhaustively presented with numerous examples and figures/diagrams which would help the students in analysing and retaining the concepts in an effective manner.
• Based on SI units with vector treatment throughout the text
• Coverage on important topics such as energy per unit volume in electrostatic field, energy density in electromagnetic field, transverse nature of EM waves and polarisation of EM waves
• In-depth discussion on topics such as electric field due to spherical shell using Gauss' law, potential due to uniformly charged spherical shell & solid sphere, boundary conditions in electrostatics & magnetostatics and EM wave propagation through vacuum & isotropic dielectric medium
• Over 200+ illustrative figures/diagrams and close to 175 step-by-step solved examples for a strong conceptual understanding of the concepts
• More than 300 multiple choice questions, about 300 short & long answer questions and close to 140 numerical problems to test and strengthen students' understanding of the concepts.
1. Vector Analysis, 2. Electrostatic Field, 3. Electric Potential, 4. Conductors and Dielectrics, 5. Steady Magnetic Field, 6. Magnetic Fields and Forces, 7. Magnetic Properties of Materials, 8. Electromagnetic Induction, 9. Maxwell's Equations, 10. Electromagnetic Wave Propagation • Appendix-A: Useful Identities, Standard Derivatives, and Integrals • Appendix-B: Names and SI Units of Electric and Magnetic Quantities • Appendix-C: Physical Constants • Appendix-D: Material Constants • Appendix-E: Multiples and Submultiples, and Greek Alphabet • Appendix-F: Maxwell's Equations • Appendix-G: Integral Theorems (Gauss-divergence Theorem and Stokes' Theorem) • Bibliography • Index