This is a multi-volume work that has been serving the undergraduate and postgraduate students of botany for more than four decades. It has equally been used for several competitive examinations. The book covers the fundamentals of bacteria, mycoplasmas, cyanobacteria, archaebacteria, viruses, fungi, lichens, plant pathology and algae. Over the years, it has earned acclaim as being students' favourite, as it explains the topics in a very comprehensible language. It has been thoroughly revised to include the newfound knowledge acquired by recent research in botany. The revised edition also comes in a more attractive format for better understanding of the subject.
• Classification of Living Organisms into Major Groups• Bacteria • Mycoplasmas • Archaebacteria • Viruses • An Introduction to Fungi • Phylum Myxomycota • Phylum Plasmodiophoromycota • Phylum Oomycota • Saprolegnia • Achlya • Pythium • Phytophthora • Albugo, or Cystopus • Phylum Chytridiomycota • Synchytrium • Phylum Zygomycota • Rhizopus and Mucor • Phylum Ascomycota • Saccharomyces (The yeast) • Aspergillus • Penicillium • Sphaerotheca • Claviceps • Peziza • Morchella • Neurospora • Phylum Basidiomycota • Puccinia • Ustilago • Agaricus • Mitosporic Fungi (Fungi Imperfecti) • Alternaria, Cercospora, Fusarium • General Discussion • Lichens • Elementary Plant Pathology—General Aspects • Some Important Plant Diseases • An Introduction to Algae • Classification of the Algae • Division Cyanophyta • Division Prochlorophyta • Division Glaucophyta • Division Rhodophyta • Batrachospermum • Polysiphonia • Heterokontophyta • Xanthophyceae • Bacillariophyceae • Phaeophyceae • Ectocarpus • Dictyota • Sargassum and Fucus • Division Dinophyta • Division Euglenophyta • Division Chlorophyta • Chlamydomonas, Pandorina, Eudorina and Volvox • Chlorella, Pediastrum and Hydrodictyon • Ulothrix • Cladophora • Stigeoclonium, Draparnaldiopis and Coleochaete • Oedogonium • Spirogyra, Zygnema and Cosmarium • Division Charophyta • General Discussion • Algae and Biotechnology
• Improved categorization of bacteria, cyanobacteria, archaebacteria, fungi, viruses and algae in the major groups of organisms.
• Modern classification of fungi and algae.
• Study of fungal diversity based on the development of molecular methods.
• Life cycle of Neurospora, and genetics of Neurospora.
• Topics on fungal biotechnology and algal biotechnology explore the molecular methods in which they are exploited by man.