This comprehensive and well-written book presents the fundamental concepts of Pharmacotherapeutics, aiming at the safe and effective use of drugs in the treatment of disease. It is interdisciplinary in its approach and provides a basis for understanding the actions and uses of drugs in man. It is written in a simple and easy-to-understand language.
The text is divided into sixteen chapters. Each chapter begins with a chapter outline giving the major contents for convenience of reference. The topics are introduced in a simple manner including some relevant background information. Main emphasis has been laid on detailed information about "prototype" substances in the group. Drugs of lesser importance are briefed later in the text. Background knowledge from physiology, biochemistry and medicine related to the drug action under discussion is proveded in each chapter. Each chapter ends with a section on "suggested reading", which provides references for a better comprehension of the text.
The text is supported by a number of diagrams and tables. The book also includes four appendices on weights and measures, prescription writing and drug compendia, historical landmarks and references for general reading. At the end, an index is also provided for rapid consultation and revision.
The book will cater to the needs of the graduate students of Medicine, Dentistry, Pharmacy and Nursing. It will also be useful to the medical practitioner and the specialist to attain professional competence.
1. GENERAL PHARMACOLOGY
2. DRUGS ACTING ON THE CENTRAL NERVOUS
3. DRUGS ACTING ON THE PERIPHERAL NERVOUS SYSTEM
4. DRUGS ACTING ON THE CARDIO- VASCULAR SYSTEM
5. DRUGS ACTING ON THE HAEMOPOIETIC SYSTEM
6. DRUGS ACTING ON THE GENITO- URINARY SYSTEM
7. DRUGS ACTING ON THE ENDOCRINE SYSTEM
8. THE VITAMINS
9. SYSTEMIC ANTI-INFECTIVE AGENTS
10. LOCAL ANTI-INFECTIVE AGENTS
12. DRUGS ACTING ON THE GASTRO- INTESTINAL SYSTEM
13. DRUGS ACTING ON THE RESPIRATORY SYSTEM
14. HEAVY METALS AND CHELATING AGENTS
15. VACCINES AND ANTISERA
16. DIAGNOSTIC AGENTS, HYPERBARIC OXYGEN, ENZYMES IN THERAPY, AND NITRIC OXIDE
Be the first one to review
Your email address will not be published.
Your rating for this book :