This textbook has been designed to meet the needs of B.Sc. students of Chemistry as per the UGC Choice Based Credit System (CBCS). It is for one of the discipline specific elective (DSE) papers, covering concept of Molecules of Life, discussing topics such as Carbohydrates, Proteins, Enzymes, Nucleic Acids, Lipids and Energy in Biosystems. With its traditional approach to the subject, this textbook lucidly explains principles of chemistry. Laboratory work has also been included to help students achieve solid conceptual understanding and learn experimental procedures.
• Highlights important laws, concepts and principles for a more focussed learning
• Enriched with interesting examples and illustrations provided throughout the text
• Engaging chapter-end exercises, having close to 450 questions, to enhance and strengthen learning of the students
• Carbohydrates • Amino Acids, Peptides and Proteins • Enzymes and Correlation with Drug Action • Nucleic Acids • Lipids • Concept of Energy of Biosystems
Part-II: Laboratory Work
• Analysis of Amino Acids • Analysis of Carbohydrates • Analysis of Oils and Fats • Extraction of DNA from Onion/Cauliflower • Thin Layer Chromatography